15 ways to do a book – day 3
January 2007 - 31.01.2007
etc. publications host a workshop about making books with 15 students at the art school in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.
Day three was about taking the concept idea a good step forward. Anybody was doing sketches, cut outs of paper to analyse formats or ways of folding. Some where researching addition material or reference books. Towards the end of the day we fixed the design challenge within each project idea, so anybody is working a) on the core aspect of his/her idea and b) works on an issue that can bring a result in the short period we have until the end of the week.
"Ok, that is good. I can make that in two days."
Geraldine: Rolling Stone, Holly Georgo-Warren (Éditions de la Martinière, Paris, 1998)
Julien: ? (? / Kiew, 1954)
Namir: Type One, Robert Klanten, Mika Mischler, Silja Bilz, Nik Thoenen (die Gestalten Verlag, Berlin, 2004)
Valentine: Abyss, Claire Nouvian (Edition Fayard, Paris, 2006)
I did a lot of scaning today and I am now starting to work on the format and the relation between the different images as well as images and text. I might give full spread to only the name of the artist, so that the artist becomes more prominent and than on the following page I could be more radical with the images. I also want to use the existing components like frames, but in a way that is not as cold and distant as it is right now.
I have started by developing a navigation system for one of the books. So that people find the way from the index page to the actual content faster.
I have designed a first flyer. I kept the basic format of the flyers that were already in the book, but instead of 4 parts, the new ones only have 3 parts, so that the cover is also the top of the unfold posterformat. I will now do 2 or 3 more to see how this works as a series.
I have started by working on one element I became aware of namely that Burt Reynolds wears a checked shirt on a lot of the photographs in the book. I try to make other readers aware of it and overemphazise it. I also worked on a sketch for a cover version with that idea.
I decided to concentrate on a single double page and to create a number of layout variations, to see how I can develop a more modern appearance. I will focus on layout and type.
I have done a couple of dummy pages to see how much information I could hide in the folds. I am also thinking about how the fold will influence the overall thickness of the book. I guess I need to pay attention to it when defining the number of folds or possitions. I am planing on really working in the book, by cutting our parts of the pages, so that I can see how it works not only as a dummy but in the real book.
I am currently preparing the content, so I am scanning and re-typing the text because I need to proper material to work with.
I am trying to find a way in which the format and the folding of the pages create a form of drama and rhythm. Once this issue is solved I will focus on the layout of all the sections of the leporello.
I have decided how I will reduce the content, now I am trying to design a functional structure for the content. So that all the elements are placed in an order that follows the line of thought a visitor of the city of Halle will have as well. I then will work on finding a visual language that is simple, appealing and suitable to the situation in which the book will be used. I am thinking about leaving out all photography to make the visual appearance stronger, coherent and unique.
I started in a very direct way. I scanned and vectorized some technical images from the book and arranged them on the page. But maybe that is almost too concrete. So I might go back to more simple sketches to better understand how the book could work the way I think it should. Also I will make some tests with different stronger papers to separate the chapters from one another.
I have started with setting up a new format for the book and a rough page layout, though I am not sure about the margins yet. Currently I am playing around with type and then I will work on the placing of the pictures.
I did some scanning and started placing the imagines in a new format. I need to work a little more with the images to see what the spirit or character can be.